Monday, November 15, 2010

In the beginning.... 1st Trimester

                 Soooooo... I guess this would be the BLOG where I will tell how it all began. I pretty much married my soul mate Glenn. He is absolutely amazing to me and couldnt be happier about becoming a first time dad.
                 We found out about the pregnancy in the beginning of July. I was about 6 weeks along to be exact, this was on a Thursday. I remember spending the entire weekend after that hugging the toilet, which is strange because I wasnt sick at all until the doctor confirmed. By Monday I had lost about 7 lbs. (more than 5% of  my body weight at the time) and ended up being admitted to the perinatal unit for 3 days :-( . I was hooked up to IV's and received over 9 bags of fluids to put my weight back on. I was so dehydrated the doctor would not allow me to leave until I could eat and hold down the food without any problems (this didnt happen until almost the last day). It was, and still is, amazing to me how my body/ mind shut down on me the way it did after formally hearing the doctor confirm it and seeing the little wormy structure on the screen that he proclaimed was our child.
               What also amazed me during our next visit after the hospital stay, was how this baby was so vibrate and carefree. I just remember thinking, "dude you are trying to kill your mom!" but he honestly did not care. My body provided him everything he needed by stealing it from what little was left in me. I kid you not, I was so scared that something could possibly be wrong with him because of the weight loss and lack of food and water for those few days. It was both refreshing and comical to see him turning flips without a care in the world as if I could just hear him saying, "weeeeeeeee!" like the little piggie in the Gieco commercials. I remember thinking to myself that this little munchkin already has my personality... carefree!

                Anyhoo, after I was released from the hospital I was put on Zofran, a drug normally given to cancer patients to help with nausea. It actually worked but the frequency of which I had to take it bothered me a bit (every four hours). I am not a huge medicine taker and neither is my Chiropractor hubby so we were elated when my specialist suggested I take a Unisom/ B6 combo in a lesser dosage and see if that worked. It is now my miracle drug. Instead of 6 doses of the Zofran a day, I now take the combo every 3 days or so.
                 My husband was still amazing during this time. My mom helped out a lot as well. They both tag teamed hospital visits so that no one got worn out having to stay with me all the time. I have already told Glenn there will be no tag teaming come delivery time! He will be on full time duty... He didnt fight me on this one since he too wants to capture every moment of our first miracle.
                 As for weight gain, I started off at 138 lbs. and at the end of the first trimester I was 134 lbs.

Baby 1 Mommie 0
               

1 comment:

  1. OMG you lost weight!! That had to be so scary!!!!!!! I'm so glad everything worked out.

    Now him saying weeeeee had me and my sister laughing so hard! Only you would find humor in puking and losing weight.

    Tereshia

    ReplyDelete